Here is our Religious Education Planner for 2020. It shows you term by term what we will be learning throughout the school year.
We will begin Term 1 by focusing on St Mary MacKillop, an extremely important figure in the history of St Joseph's School and Catholic Education
Mary MacKillop Facts for Kids
- Mary MacKillop was born in Victoria in 1842. She was the eldest child in her family and had 3 sisters and 4 brothers.
- Her father had an excellent religious education and most of Mary’s education was at home.
- Mary’s first job was as a clerk when she was 14, she then worked as a governess looking after her cousins and teaching them (and other farm children) their lessons.
- She loved children and later became a school teacher.
- In South Australia she met a priest named Father Julian Tenison Woods who also wanted to help poor children attend school.
- Together Mary MacKillop and Father Tenison Woods started the ‘Stable School’ in 1866.
- All of the children had lessons in reading, writing, math and singing. The girls also enjoyed learning to sew whilst the boys enjoyed woodwork. Mary and her sisters also taught the children about God and taught them to trust in Jesus.
- In 1866 Mary MacKillop and Father Tenison Woods started the religious order of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart (the Josephites) and in 1867 Mary MacKillop became a nun – Sister Mary of the Cross.
- Mary and the Josephite nuns set up schools in Australia and New Zealand.
- They also set up houses for elderly women, young girls and women without jobs. They gave their life to people in need often giving comfort to the sick and dying and even visiting people in jail to give them whatever help they could.
At times in her life Mary MacKillop met people who made it hard for her to perform her good works but she never gave up and today the Sisters of St Joseph are still doing the work that Mary MacKillop started all those years ago
This Term, our Focus for Religious Education is the God Strand
Information on what the students will be learning in their Year levels is listed below